Honey flavored anything is always a hot commodity. But, there’s a lot that most people don’t know about honey. So, here’s the buzz on it.
- Honey never spoils. I’ve known this for years but it always seems to surprise people when I mention it. I guess I know this because of my love of puttering around in the kitchen. Honey doesn’t spoil due to its acidic nature and the fact that it’s low in moisture. Honey has even been found (unspoiled) in Egyptian tombs.
- Honey is good for what ails you. Its makeup makes it naturally antibiotic.
- Honey is good for the economy and environment. Bees are massive pollinators which is good for the environment. And, bees pollinate (directly or indirectly) up to a third of food Americans eat.
- Out of 20,000 species of bees, only a fraction of them actually make honey.
- Bees survive cold weather by consuming their honey.
- Honey is the only food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain life, including enzymes, vitamins, minerals, and water. It’s also the only food that contains pinocembrin, an antioxidant associated with improved brain functioning.
- Honey is the only insect secretion that we eat.
- Honey color and taste is affected by the types of plants bees visit.
- In 1957, the founders of Dutch Gold Honey began packaging their honey in the now-familiar honey bear containers.
Peace, Love & Honey
Hoosier Barn Chick