Years ago The Hubby fell in love with a soup at The Olive Garden. When he did, finding restaurant recipes wasn’t that easy. But, after a lot of digging, I came up with it. Since then, I’ve changed it to fit our tastes a little bit more.
But here it is . . . and he loves this soup so much that he’ll ask me to make it even during the middle of summer. He likes it best if I make it a day ahead of time.
Italian Sausage & Potato Soup
You will need:
- 1 package of italian sausage (I like the brat form and he likes the hot one)
- 1 onion
- butter or bacon grease
- heavy cream
- Boil the italian sausage (if you are using the brat form) in the chicken broth.
- Roughly chop the potatoes and cook them for about 20 minutes in the chicken broth.
- Brown the sausage and let them rest.
- Sweat the chopped onion and minced garlic in butter or bacon grease.
- When the potatoes are just about done, add the garlic and onion.
- Add the chopped kale.
- Bring to a boil for 10 minutes and then cover and let sit for about an hour to cook the kale a little.
- Chop the sausage into bite sized pieces and add to the soup.
- Add the heavy cream.
- Put in refrig and let sit over night.
- When you are ready to eat the soup, heat it slowly (do not let it boil since it has cream in it) and then serve.
I don’t really have measurements for the items in this recipe because I do it by taste. You can add salt, pepper, crushed red pepper . . . whatever you like.
**** Note**** There is more than 1 package of sausage pictured here because I was making two different dishes at once and just cooked all of the sausage at once.